Thursday, September 24, 2009

Getting Started

After a lifetime of daydreaming and almost two years of hard work, I find myself in the position of trying to find an agent so that I can realize one of my many dreams (having already secured a few). I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little nervous about the process, having read countless blogs and insights addressing the world of publishing. I mean I knew it would be hard, but I really had no idea.

Or maybe I just didn’t think it applied to me. Sounds about right. I’m not easily discouraged.

In fact I’m more determined than ever. I have the dream, I have the book, and dog gone it I’m going to see it in print yet! Honestly though I can see that my book needs cut and primed a little more, which only gives me more time to perfect my query letter. So great! As well, I have plenty to keep me busy and sane. Well….if you call having a husband, seven children and a dog, sane. I would, though people have often questioned my sanity, or at the very least asked me how I do it.

It’s pretty much like the process of publishing I imagine. You start with a dream and take it one day at a time, one step at a time. I didn’t have all my children at once, and my book didn’t happen overnight, or because I sat back and watched it.

My getting published will be a lot like motherhood. Taking my dream, getting a little advice, throwing in a lot of hard work, determination, and love, then crying a little, getting some more advice and digging my heels in harder.

Here’s to motherhood and getting published!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me how you really feel. Come on, I Dair YA.