Monday, October 1, 2012

Review: Mythology by Helen Boswell

Hope Gentry doesn't believe in Fate. Born with an unusual power to see the dark memories of those around her, Hope just wants to be a normal teenager. But on the first day of her senior year of high school, she finds herself irresistibly drawn to a transfer student named Micah Condie. At first glance, Micah seems like a boy that most girls would dream about. But when Hope's powers allow her to discover Micah's darkest secret, she quickly becomes entangled in the lives of mythical entities she never dreamed existed. Was this her destiny all along? And will her powers help her survive the evil of the Demon Impiorum?

Mythology isn't just for English class anymore.

*******

What a story!!

Not every story has the ability to keep me up at night, and even fewer have the distinction of being worth it in the end. Mythology was excellent. The storytelling was smooth, descriptive, and with a plot that was not only new and refreshing, but funny, despite the dark feelings typically associated with demons. And high school.  :)  I mean, who cheers for the demons?

*slowly raises hand*

And such is one of the many surprises this book had in store for me. I don't usually cheer for the villians. Or are they the villians? Redefining stereotypes and people's freedom to choose who they are struck a major chord with me. No longer was mythology about legends and folklore. It is about breaking the molds and myths that shape our existence. Some of the trials Hope faces are not unlike those of other teenage girls, and the author does a very good job of addressing the difficult issues that can define our lives. Or destroy it.

Hope and Micah each have their own personal demons to battle, and one of them is the reason that some libraries are choosing not to carry the book. Ridiculous. I have to wonder if we all read the same book. I for one found myself anxiously awaiting to see how it would all work out, cheering for Hope and the bravery she had.

The story was not only intriguing, but thought provoking, granting this YA fiction far more depth than I was expecting, given its title. Talk about breaking stereotypes. I mean, smiling because one of the characters slips and swears? Yeah, that's not like me. Of course they did get chewed out for it, by "the bad guy" no less, so yeah...pretty funny.

The book ended far too quickly for my liking and I find myself anxiously awaiting the sequel, and maybe a nap or two to prep myself ahead of time. I know better now.  :)

Well done, Helen. Well done. 

And through Wednesday of this week you can find your own copy of Mythology here at Amazon. FOR FREE!!!  Check out Helen's blogpost here to find out why!! Hint: it has to do with a couple of school libraries not carrying it. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me how you really feel. Come on, I Dair YA.