Nanowrimo. Say it with me....naaaaa.....noooo wrimo. It's not hard to do. Well, yeah, kind of. I mean, 50,000 words in 30 days? Yeah, it's some of the hardest fun you'll ever have.
Here's how it works:
- Pick a plot (hopefully you've got an idea or rough outline going into it. Unless you're like me. :) I'm a total pantser. Don't worry though, at this stage I'm the only one who gets to see the embarrassing, ugly polka dot underwear. You get to see my daily word count. :)
- November 1st start typing like mad. You need about 1667 words a day to make it to the 50,000 by the end of the month.
- Chat on the forums!
- Read comics on the main page!
- Shop at the store and buy cool t-shirts and mugs!
- Waste time playing Candy Crush!
- Facebook like crazy!
- Find Writing Buddies and distract them--I mean help them!
- Try and get back to writing. *sigh*
- Discover amazing plot twist and fist pump the room.
- Eats lots and lots of energy snacks. Is this why it starts right after Halloween? Hmmmmm
- Type and type and type some more.
- Think about Thanksgiving Day looming and type faster.
- Finish! Validate! Claim your prizes. Seriously. Since I started in 2005 the folks at Nanowrimo have really pulled in some awesome prizes for us to claim. Soooo cool.
I've been nano-ing since 2005. There was a couple years in there that I was working on my senior Honors Thesis and trying to graduate from college, so yeah....my word count was wrapped up in term papers and such.
Times and seasons.
It's a tough month for me to do Nanowrimo. Okay, okay, every month is hard when you're a mom of seven and especially right now as I work to recover from a difficult and painful summer. But being a writer means that NO time will be perfect for writing. You have to carve the time out to do it. Life won't stop for us. And quite frankly, writing is better due to our experiences. It's the stuff that gives us something to write ABOUT.
So what are you waiting for? Go! Sign up! NANO!!!! And come be my buddy here. :)