Thursday, April 24, 2014

Connecting


I have nine children. Seven that I juggle on a day to day basis. :) I love them all. So much.

And yes, seven takes work to keep up with AND do it well.  There's never enough time for each one. Each day. We do our best, but sometimes a child needs more. So we run errands together, talk by bedsides, do dishes, and make cookies together. 

But inevitably there's a lot of noise to compete with. Nay, lovely excitement. :) I don't consider the love here noise. Not really. But it does make it hard for the ones with trials to get some of the talk time they need. And even when they do, they seem to forget all those happy thoughts when they are caught in another hard spot and I'm not there.

So they have journals. Like this one.

10 year old's brand new journal
And we write back and forth to each other. They tell me everything they want me to know, and then I write back all the words of comfort I can. They reread it. They treasure it. Or so I'm told. :) Through the journal writing they have my undivided attention, and through our correspondence we console one another. Mostly the consoling comes from me. :) 

Kids are faced with so many trials, ones I've already been through and thus can help lend support. They make me glad I had those trials of my own, so I have SOME knowledge to help lift them up. Or just tell them they are loved and not alone. Worth my time.  TOTALLY worth my time. Always.

How do you help support your children? What challenges do you face in the world today?

3 comments:

  1. What an amazing idea of writing in those journals! Every day, my kids and husband and I gather around the dinner table and we must share our "bests" and "worsts" of our days. It's remarkable the information I gather about each one of my children (and even The Hubs) I never would have received from one word answers, such as, "How was school today?" Good...
    As a mom, I think you know what I mean :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids are faced with so many more trials now than I faced at their age. I love your journal idea! I've never thought of them writing what they actually WANT me to know about, and for me to write them either comfort or what I think of their thoughts. My sons are usually very vocal, but when the're quiet, I often find a way to get some alone time and then ask them how they are doing in general. The Spirit often guides me on what to say and the best way to ask, and as I guide them through it, we have a wonderful feeling of peace.

    Two weeks ago we found out that our 10 year old was being bullied in school, and the teachers didn't even know that he ended hurting his best friend when another classmate threatened him to do it. After lots of talking and praying, we decided to pull him out of school and give him my love and guidance so he will regain his self confidence again and enjoy learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have children, but this sounds like a wonderful idea. Such a smart way to give your kids your undivided attention and a chance to hear your comforting words over and over. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete

Tell me how you really feel. Come on, I Dair YA.