Monday, May 17, 2010

Casting spells all over the place

Spells

by Aprilynne Pike

In a beautiful, yet heart-wrenching tale of good versus evil, Laurel finds herself battling more than just the trolls that are after her; the clash between her two worlds forcing her to make a choice between better and best and which boy will help her be the person she’s meant to be and live the life she’s meant to live.

Spells follows Wings, a thrilling tale surrounding a girl named Laurel, a human, who has only recently found out that she’s also a fairy. Well, not also. Laurel is in fact not a human at all, though that’s the only life she’s known for the past fifteen years. At least the parts she can remember.

In this latest installment, Laurel’s latent fairy memories continue to evade her, causing her to struggle even more between embracing her old life and retaining the human existence she’s literally grown accustomed to all these years.

The beautiful yet succinct writing kept me turning page after page until I was finished, aching along with Laurel as she battled for her life in so many ways. A truly marvelous read with oh so many surprise endings, creating all the more anticipation for the next installment.

************************************************

The Candy Shop War

by Brandon Mull

Can we say Fun? Fun? Fun? I bet you could, but when was the last time you ever associated it with a book? Brandon Mull weaves a delightful tale of fun and excitement, creating a world that seems strangely familiar, yet turns out not to be quite what we expect. Where accepting candy from strangers takes on a whole new meaning, and leaves the parents in town the most vulnerable and unable to heed their own warning. But is it the stranger or the candy itself that has the children so enraptured, essentially blinding them against the truly sadistic plots taking place?

In typical Brandon Mull fashion is a tale woven so expertly as to teach a valuable lesson while taking us on a wild and dangerous ride through his vivid imagination. Perfection at its best. Almost as perfect as the candy which makes you….

Well, I think I’ll just let you find that out for yourself.

8 Comments

  • Shelli says:

    I’ve heard a lot about Aprilynne Pike. You’ve piqued my curiosity even more. Maybe I’ll take a peek at Wings when I’m done with the three books I have lined up right now. Also, The Candy Shop War sounds wonderful? What grade level would you say that is for? I’m thinking my boys would love it. Thanks for the reviews and the recommendations!

  • Liz Adair says:

    Well done, Karen! You have a nice style and have written enjoyable reviews.

  • Karen says:

    Shelli, The additional beauty of The Candy Shop War is that it’s a book I think any age would enjoy. My ten year old boy read it and couldn’t stop talking about it for days. My girls and older son were of the same mindset, as well as my husband. It’s a clean, well written book that is clever in its use of action to create the appropriate feeling of tension.

  • You led us through the books nicely. I am going to go out and get a copy of The Candy Shop War for fun family summer reading.

  • Aprilynne’s books sound perfect for my daughter. She’s always had a thing for fairies and loves books as Christmas and birthday presents. The reviews were well written, giving us just enough of a taste without telling too much. Good job!

    And I love your website! Just out of curiosity, what software did you use to put it together?

  • That is a great review. Thanks for the tip. I have read the whole collection of Brandon Mull’s Fableheaven series but I haven this one. I will have to put it in my list.

    Anna del C.
    Author of “The Silent Warrior Trilogy”
    http://www.annadelc.com

  • I have about 20 of the Trixie Belden collection too. Love the books. : )

  • Nikki says:

    Great reviews! I’ve read Wings, but not Spells yet. Now I want to even more. And although I’ve heard of Brandon Mull, I’ve never read his work. And now? Have to add it to the list for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me how you really feel. Come on, I Dair YA.