Thursday, May 27, 2010

Firsts

Today has just begun and already I’ve been forced to think about two firsts in my life. One took place when I was fourteen and went to my first real dance (I have Mormon Mommy Blogs to thank for my remembering that one). It was exciting, and much anticipated, not to mention totally frightening. What if no one asked me to dance? What if I asked them and they turned me down?

Well, guess what folks. It happened, and…it happened. And isn’t it funny how 20+ years later I’m still facing rejection? Just a different kind. As in, Here’s my query…and who will ask for more? Anyone? Anyone? No one? Really?!? Ahhhh, come on…. Now, eventually I got past the “rejection at the dance” stage and in fact met my wonderful, adoring husband at yet another one of those awkward dances. What’s really funny is that my Mom practically forced me to go that fateful night. She spoke soothing words, gave me encouragement, and told me not everyone was like the last boyfriend I had who would use me and spit me out.

She was right of course. Not all boys are created equal. Just as no two agents, editors, and publishers are alike. I recently submitted my query and prepared to hold my breath for the who knew how long. Turns out it was short. 12 hours to be exact. Yes, folks, it took less than 24 hours to be rejected, but I breathed a huge sigh of relief. I did it. I asked…and got turned down. And yet I’m still standing and ready to try again. Because eventually I know I’ll find the right match.

Today’s post by Nathan Bransford explains how every writer gets rejected in trying to find their right match, and how even a phenomenal, fantastic, and uber-loads of money-making book got rejected at least once (or twice) by so said professionals. There’s just no perfect system for recognizing what will sell, because of course as readers we all want something different.

The trick, therein, lies in finding that one perfect match. The one person who loves your book as much as you do. Who sees things the same way you do, and will do anything to see you happy (because of course it means their happiness as well). A match made in Heaven. Hmmmmm….just think. With a little patience and perseverance, you could not only have a beautiful marriage, but a book that would equally stand the test of time. With someone who would be willing to invest as much in you as much as you have in your book.

What do you think? Is it worth it? Ready to dance? I mean, query??????

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me how you really feel. Come on, I Dair YA.