Thursday, July 29, 2010

I've still got time


I love that line from the movie The Incredibles. The superhero is totally late to his own wedding because he's so busy fighting crime. Yes, while he is making the world a safer place for his future family, he's putting it in jeopardy at the same time. I mean, if the guy can't leave work to make it to the most important day of his life then what hope is there he'll ever make it home on time for dinner.

Anyway, I'm not here to talk about work related difficulties and how awesomely cool the hero really is. I mean, face it folks...after leaving his hero status behind he puts up with the most horrendous job in order to continue providing a safe and secure environment for his family.

Now THAT'S the kind of superhero I'm talking about. And yeah, I have one of those.

I get to write because I'm married to a superhero. Seems appropriate since I'm such a dare devil, huh? And yeah, he's pulled my butt out of the fire more than once. And yes I have the scars to prove it. Want to see? Uh...wait...forget I said that. But really, which one of us wouldn't do the same for someone we love. I have. Oh you better believe our marriage is give and take. Together we're more singed than that bag of microwave popcorn I once burned. (It was the microwave's fault, I swear.)

But honestly, there's this little thing called time that often steals away our dreams and makes life a little more troublesome for us all. Unless of course you're using it wisely. Which I don't always do. Today that changes.

I've decided that I'll dedicate one hour to each thing on my list today. ONE HOUR. The kids are the only exception. They always are. They get whatever time they need. But with an hour do you know what I can do? I can not only GIVE myself an hour for things I had been cheated out of, but at the same time give myself a limit so that I don't steal time from something else.

Ironic, isn't it? That limiting myself would give me more time. But alas, it is true. I spend far too much time on the internet and not enough on my French homework. C'est la vie!

If you want to see how I'm going to use my time then check out my Dair to Dream page. It's chocked full of all the dreams I have that stand even the remotest chance of getting checked off. And even a few that seem impossible, but I'm going for anyway.

How about you? Do you have some dreams of your own? I'd love to hear them. That way we can root each other on. And who knows...maybe we'll each find something new we can add to our own list.

That is, if you dair.

1 comment:

  1. I know why I like you so much -- we have so much in common! I, too, am married to a super hero, love at first sight, whirlwind romance. He is the reason I am following my dreams now.

    Two things to help you achieve those dreams:
    1. I taught all but my oldest how to read using the book "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons" by Siegfried Engelmann et al. It is a wonderful, effective way to teach your kids how to read. All my kids are exceptional, avid readers.
    2. Have you tried "The Artist's Way," by Julia Cameron? Love the book! I'm almost finished with it, and it has been so helpful and FUN! I'm going to lend it to Nikki next. I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to explore their creative self.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me how you really feel. Come on, I Dair YA.