Tuesday, April 3, 2012

C if for....drumroll please...

COOKIES!

Wait, sorry, that was a reaction to the sight of something wonderful in my kitchen.

Of course C stands for children. At least in MY house, although cookies and children DO kind of go together here.

You see, we have a long standing tradition in our house that says when Mom makes cookies everyone gets a scoop of cookie dough. Yes, raw. I can't possibly have as many children as I do and honestly worry about every possible neurotic danger the world throws at them. And yeah, I've been eating raw cookie dough since I was like four so let's just throw out that horrible, diet-fad producing rumor shall we?

But as I was saying, there are a lot of wonderful traditions we have in our family. Many of them I brought from my own blessed childhood. I grew up in a large family as well. What can I say, my mother and I both love children. My mother's been gone for two years, but happily the traditions she started have continued on.

That's a lot of the reason that I love writing so much. Our work is a tribute to our life, others' lives, and for those who have yet to be born. We can learn so much from others' experiences and reading is a great way for us to get the most out of them (second best to living them ourselves).

We don't need to sky dive to experience the ultimate terror it is to be hurtling towards your death (though I'm highly considering it these days), or be born into a royal family in order to feel like a princess (or prince--equal opportunist over here). :)

We just need to know how to read. I've helped teach all my children. And I help them find books worthy of their time and interests. That's my role as a parent and writer. To help my children and others find joy in reading. Joy in learning. Joy in experiencing life when you may not have the opportunities for yourself...yet. I'm a firm believer in being able to make happen whatever you put your mind to.

Hey, I just went up in a prop plane and I'm scared of heights. I know what I'm talking about.

How about you? Who do you write for? And why?

10 comments:

  1. I love children. lol Yesterday I did boys and birthdays and talked about my oldest son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too perfect, Donna!! Children are truly a blessing.

      Delete
  2. I write for myself. I have a three little ones (#4 on the way) and next to reading, writing is my favorite way to escape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I write for myself, principally. It's a good way to express what I may be feeling or to create something I'd like. It's better than beating nine bells out of the piano.
    I love reading and luckily so do my children and grandchildren (it makes finding gifts for them so much easier;-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true jabblog and Kaylee! When I was younger, reading was an escape. Literally. Our house was pretty full at times so I'd go to the library to check out books. Now I write as well as read, which helps with that "escape" mentality since I can't just take off anymore. :) Which of course I don't want to. :)

      Delete
  4. I write for both myself and with the intention of at least my family members to read it. I write YA novels, and hope to one day publish them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to say I write for myself, but in my dreams I write for others as well. I want my stories to do what so many stories have done for me - inspire, encourage, ignite, etc.

    Nice to meet you on this a-z blog challenge.

    Have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you too MTeacress! Thanks for stopping by. I think it's wonderful that our writing can help ourselves as well as others. I hope to be able to do the same thing as well. Good luck with your writing!!! Have a great week, too. :)

      Delete
  6. I like children too! LOL I write for me. Writing for other people is kind of futile anyway so I may as well entertain myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great attitude all around! If you're happy with your writing then you're sure to entertain others besides just yourself. Hope you're having fun!!!

      Delete

Tell me how you really feel. Come on, I Dair YA.