Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Persistence

There's a reason that persistence is such a long word, given its meaning.

From an online dictionary:

per-sist-ence [per-sis-tuhns]

noun


  1. the act or fact of persisting. (okay, not very helpful in defining the word)
  1. the quality of being persistent (who makes up these definitions? I have to define persistent before I can understand persistence. Talking about needing to be persistent to understand the word!)
  1. continued existence or occurrence (now we're getting closer)
  1. the continuance of an effect after its cause is removed (you can say that again)




So just to clarify...

Persistence is continuing to do something long after you're sick and tired of doing said thing, and want to give up but can't for some inexplicable reason (maybe because someone is making you) (or because you actually WANT to succeed or at least finish the job). For example:

I had persistence in finishing my degree after starting it over 20 years ago. Uh, huh...that would be number 4 on the list. 

I took a break from school to raise our children. It was something I had always dreamed of doing--felt very strongly about. But it meant putting my husband through school so that his job would allow me to stay home with them. And we did it. Fast forward twelve years.

My husband was doing an outstanding job of supporting our large family, so there wasn't a NEED for me to work outside the home or get a degree, but baby we BOTH wanted me to have one.  He was determined that I have the same opportunities that he did, and despite the fact that I had paused to help raise our children didn't mean I shouldn't get an education.

I just put it on hold for a while. That was a persistence all of its own. I never lost sight of my goal. In fact, in thinking about getting an education someday I found I filled in the need in other places. Patience, organization, sacrifice...all the things required of a hard working mother. AndI think I'm a much better, much more organized student than I was 20 years ago as a result. I wasn't getting straight A's then. :) Life has taught me the true value of things.


Persistence is not giving up on a dream even when it gets really hard. When you're tired of boxed dinners and homework and getting done with your homework and the dishes and then helping your children with their homework as well.  And the laundry. *shudder*

Persistence is about sacrificing something you want now for something better later.  Both the journey AND the reward is what makes persistence such a satisfying word.

Some day I will be published. Aside of the binding my thesis is now undergoing. :) *oh, honey my pretty red book is going to look so nice next to your blue one on the shelf* :)

I just have to be persistent and never give up. Because...it's worth it.

What are your goals and dreams? Have you achieved something that took an especially long time or was especially hard or trying? 


4 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to reading your book, my goal at the moment is having a studio space all to myself....at the moment I share the kitchen table and a corner of the room, it will come in time along with all those other dreams, we do have to persist because we don't know what is coming round the corner! Blessings, Amanda

    Amanda - Realityarts-Creativity
    Art Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhhhh, the space issue. Yes. I know it all too well. Sounds like you're working around it in the meantime. Excellent!! Good luck and keep those dreams coming.

      Delete
  2. Very funny definitions - made me laugh :) Well done for being so 'persistent' to pursue your education finally. I am finding I am having to be 'persistent' with this A-Z when I haven't got a clue what to write now!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sacrificing something now for something better later - a perfect paraphrase of persistence.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me how you really feel. Come on, I Dair YA.